Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I can fly...

Last year I took an ultralight flight over the Angkor area in Cambodia with SkyVenture. It's a great way to see the temples and surrounding area. Beats a tour bus any day. I've had these pictures sitting in my hard drive for a year and finally got around to posting them.

Who needs windows?

The Ride...

My original plan was to take off for a sunrise over the area, but the weather had other ideas. There was a thunderstorm so we had to wait for it to clear. After we took off and headed to the temples more clouds rolled in and visibility dropped to zero. The pilot descended until we were out of the clouds but then we were dodging cell phone towers, so we had to return to base.

...the gods look down upon... 

...symmetry... 

Bow to me!

The sky cleared after an hour and we took off again. Once again as we headed towards the temples more clouds rolled in. To the south the sky was clear so we flew down towards the Tonle Sap. It wasn't so bad there and saw some amazing views.

The local countryside during the rainy season.

The countryside. 
  The countryside.
Bird's eye view...

Kraom Mountain


Kraom Mountain

The flight was over too soon but it was unforgettable. Because of the improvised flight plan, I don't know the name of some of the temples I flew over. Trying to find them on Google Earth. I recommend this to anyone wanting to see a "different" Angkor.

No comments: